Ideally located in the heart of New York City, the Grand Hyatt New York Hotel is an oasis for all those seeking to stay in New York but away from all the traffic and commotion of the city that never sleeps. It has contemporary rooms fitted with flat-screen TVs and internet, many amenities which are family-friendly, and over 1,000 staff to cater to your every whim and need.
One a few steps away from the famous Grand Central Station, the Grand Hyatt New York is the perfect place for families, business travelers, tourists, locals who want a staycation or to celebrate an anniversary, and weddings. Here is a comprehensive review with many more details of the Grand Hyatt New York Hotel.
Accommodation type: 4-star hotel
No. of Rooms & Suites: 1306 rooms, 45 conference rooms, five ballrooms
Pricing: starts at 191 – $559 for single rooms,
High season: summer months and holidays
Nearest airport: La Guardia Airport, Queens, New York City
Suitable for: business travelers, tourists, families, weddings
- One of the best hotels for meetings in New York in 2016 by Cvent
The Grand Hyatt New York hotel has a vast history. Initially, it was opened to the public in 1918, when it was called The Commodore Hotel. When they renovated it in the 1980s, they added a glass façade made of reflective glass on top of its hundred-year-old masonry work. However, you can still see some of the original plaster in the foyer that leads to the grand ballroom, lined by neoclassical columns.
Its rooms are not extensively large, but they are larger than most hotels in New York, standing tall at about 250 square feet. All of them are decorated in hues of champagne and dark plum. As far as what you can find in the rooms themselves goes, here are the accommodations.
- One king-size bed or two full-sized ones
- Mini fridge
- Flat screen TV that also has built-in options for movies
- Wi-Fi is available, but you will have to pay for it at a daily rate
- Half the windows have views of 42nd Street
- In the bathroom, you will find June Jacobs toiletries
Another amazing thing about the Grand Hyatt New York Hotel is that you might even spot a celebrity or two around the area. For example, the wedding scene in one of the Sex and the City movies was filmed on the grand staircase in the hotel’s library. Some celebrities spotted at the hotel include Bill Clinton, Dr. Oz, and John McCain.
Here is what the Grand Hyatt New York City Hotel prides itself on giving to its guests.
- A fitness center which stands on the penthouse level. All of the equipment is free and fairly new
- Cardio equipment that has a built-in TV
- Guest services which relate to local fitness centers for getting you a personal trainer for working out, yoga or Pilates
Here are the eating and restaurant arrangements at Grand Hyatt New York.
- The New York Central Restaurant and Bar. Here you can enjoy upscale European food. Some examples of dishes include short ribs with Manchego polenta, marrow burgers, and pancetta.
- Market is an actual market for food located in the hotel’s lobby. You can purchase ready-made meals and salads as well as dishes from some of the nearby restaurants such as Tisserie, Chickalicious, and Roasting Plant.
- The Lounge is the most lavish and stylish place in the hotel food-wise. You can sit back and relax, while they serve you lite bites and cocktails. There is an open kitchen.
- A business center which they designed especially for business people staying at the hotel. Therefore, it has computers, printers, and staff that can help one manage them.
- The Grand Club Lounge where you can relax on the terrace and which offers free breakfast every morning.
- Roll-away beds which you can rent for a per-day fee. However, the hotel will only guarantee them when checking-in, so you should take that into consideration.
- The Babies Travel Lite program. It means that babies and toddlers receive toiletries such as diapers, lotions, and much more. The idea here is that parents travel as lightly as possible seeing as they have a child. Grand Hyatt will take care of the rest
- Cribs for children. However, one important thing here is that what the hotel offers are not actually cribs, but playpens. Therefore, you might have a surprise upon arriving there.
If you get to New York by plane, it will take you somewhere between 30 and 90 minutes to get to the Grand Hyatt. It all depends on traffic and the route you choose. The three airports are LaGuardia, JFK, and Newark Airport. Out of the three, the first two are more convenient. However, it does depend a lot on traffic and the time of day.
When you come from JFK, a taxi will take you to Manhattan in an hour for $45. From LaGuardia, the cab fare will be $40, and it will take some 30 minutes. However, if it’s a bad time of the day or if there is a lot of traffic, it can take up to two hours. The ride from Newark will cost you at least $40 without the toll. It will also take a lot more than the other two, rounding at about an hour and a half.
If none of these options seems right for you, then you can always ride the subway or take a bus. They both go for $2.75 per person for a ride. There are also some private shuttles going from all the airports to Manhattan. The price for one ticket is $14.
Main Attractions around the Grand Hyatt New York Hotel
Depending on your interests, the Grand Hyatt New York Hotel has a lot of main attractions. It can be the food, the large and comfortable rooms or its many amenities. However, most people tend to think that the best thing about it is its business center and the fact that it’s located right in the heart of New York, in the beautiful and fashionable Manhattan.
While you stay at the hotel, here are some attractions you can enjoy in the vicinity.
- Do some shopping at the big retailers that are currently linked to Grand Central Station. Examples include Banana Republic, Kenneth Cole or Strawberry’s.
- In winter time, for the holiday season, the Terminal at Grand Central also houses a craft and artisan fair.
- The New York Public Library is very close by. You can see its world-famous lions, Fortitude and Patience or go to one of the free events they organize all the time.
- You can also spend some time in the outdoors in Bryant Park, which is just behind the library. Locals and tourists typically have picnics there and simply hang out. The park also sports a carousel which the authorities imported from France and which plays Edith Piaf all day long.
In the winter, they also organize a rink for ice skating right in the park. When summertime comes, they play popular movies for free.
With more than 100 years of history under its belt, the Grand Hyatt New York Hotel stands proud as one of the best in the city. It’s a highly versatile place, which allows you to do everything you want, from weddings to staycations to business meetings and tourism. If you want to take Manhattan by storm, this is the place to stay at!